I really love a sweet/hot combo, don't you? Or sweet/tangy, for when I go deep on chutney. I've had a couple of bags of peppers in the freezer for quite a while and it was time. One of them, a gift from a Buy Nothing friend, was a bunch of green, yellow and red bell peppers, already seeded and cut in half, ready to use for pepper jelly. I had bags of mixed peppers I froze from last year's harvest, now all a mystery because I don't remember how hot they all are. Oops. I knew some were jalapeños, some pepperoncinis (thanks to the wrinkles), those red ones might be Fresnos which are hotter. Basically, a mystery grab bag.
Off to Chili Pepper Madness, where I went down a rabbit hole of various thing I could do with all those hot peppers, and a side trip to Food in Jars. Linking to all these as future inspiration:
- Singapore Red Chili Sauce, Food in Jars
- Sweet Pepper Jam Recipe: Can't make this, don't have kiwis on hand or another fruit I want to use this way.
- Fermented Hot Sauce: I want to do this today, not after a week or more of fermentation time, although I could plan ahead and do this later in the season as the peppers really come on. The madhatter peppers I'm growing this year are so cute!
- Cranberry-Jalapeño Jelly: Definitely making this one later in the year when cranberries are in season.
- Sweet Chili Pepper Relish
- Hot Chili Pepper Relish: Made this a couple of years ago and we still have a jar or two on hand.
This time around, I want hot pepper jelly, ready to put on a cracker with some Cougar Gold cheese or to zing up a sandwich. Plus, that uses up all those bell peppers just taking up freezer space.
Pepper Jelly Recipe it was.
The recipe calls for 4-5 cups of chopped peppers in whatever combo you want, a mix of sweet and hot. Frozen peppers do kind of turn into mush when you chop in the food processor, which is the fastest possible way, but that's okay. I didn't want to go over the top on hot peppers either. I sliced the tip off a few of them to check hotness (okay, that one's a Fresno!) and ended up with 2+ cups of sweet pepper, 2 cups of mild to hot pepper.
Yield: 9 half-pints, one quarter pint. Good heat with a noticeable burn but not one that punishes you for tasting.
On to my next adventure in putting a bit of heat in a jar: Blackcurrant Jam with Chocolate and Chili from Larder Love.
A couple of tweaks:
- Subbed in blackberries for blackcurrants. I do have a currant bush but it produces too few to turn into jam. I live in western Washington so, y'know, blackberries. Since they're super seedy, I first warmed them up a bit, then mashed part of the batch through a sieve to do a "reduced seeds" (not seedless) jam.
- Larder Love calls for shaving an actual bar of chocolate, 70% cacao, into the jam. I'd already made Chocolate Cherry Jam, which simply used cocoa powder, and it was fantastic. I thought about saving the dark chocolate for actual eating, but decided to make the recipe as written this first time around. (Because who could resist making something like this again, right?) I saved myself the shaving step because I got dark chocolate chips.
- She doesn't do hot-water bath canning; she's in the UK. I do and just follow standard jam timing.
I had a really big quantity of blackberries. Two evenings of picking gave me 4-3/4 yogurt cartons (my standard picking container; easy to carry a few in my bike pannier and make a stop when I spot ripe fruit). This turned out to be 1,883 grams (weighed after I had put about one-third of the berries through a sieve to mash out some of the seeds). Adjusting Larder Love's recipe quantities and doing some tasting for heat, I arrived at this recipe. You can shift quantities by maintaining ratios or go back to her recipe.
Blackberry Chocolate Chili Jam
- Blackberries: 1,883 grams, or around 10 cups
- Sugar: 1,130 grams (60% of berry weight)
- Lemon juice: 3-3/4 T.
- Chili flakes: 2-1/4 t. (increased from 1-3/4 t. I started with, which was the multiplier of her quantity)
- Dark chocolate chips or grated dark chocolate bar, at least 70% cacao: 226 grams
Related Reading and Recipes
- Green Tomato Caponata Recipe
- Cherry Cherry Good: Pickled Cherries and Chocolate Cherry Jam
- Apple Mint Jelly, No Pectin Needed
- Mixed Citrus Ginger Marmalade Take 2
- Spiced Apple Butter Recipe
- Green Tomato Chutney Not-a-Ketchup Sauce
- In Which I Say Never Again to Making Ketchup
- When Life Hands You a Defrosted Freezer, Make Jam
- My Circular Economy of Apples
- Making Taybarb: Tayberry Rhubarb Jam Recipe
- Canstravaganza! Food Preservation 2024
- Blackberry Apple Chutney Recipe
- Green Tomatoes. So Many Green Tomatoes.
- Apples, Apples, Apples!
- Zucchini Tomato Salsa (Everyone Needs Salsa, or, What to Do with a Really Giant Zucchini)
- Tomatoes, Tomatoes, Tomatoes!
- Pears, Pears, Pears!
- Future Marmalade
- Vegan Cranberry Caramelized Red Onion Orange Chutney Recipe Experimentation
- "Sweet Harvest"
- All my posts about food, gardening, and the environment
No comments :
Post a Comment
Comments are like karma. The more you give, the more you receive. (Spam is like karma too.)