Biking Quotations


When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.  Here was a machine of precision and balance for the convenience of man.  And (unlike subsequent inventions for man's convenience) the more he used it, the fitter his body became.  Here, for once, was a product of man's brain that was entirely beneficial to those who used it, and of no harm or irritation to others.  Progress should have stopped when man invented the bicycle.

--Elizabeth West, Hovel in the Hills

Let me tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman on a wheel. It gives a woman a feeling of freedom and self-reliance.
-Susan B. Anthony, New York World, February 2, 1896

...The future mode of transportation for this weary Western world. Now I'm not gonna make a lot of extravagant claims for this little machine. Sure, it'll change your whole life for the better, but that's all.
--Bicycle salesman, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Why reinvent the wheel when you can tighten the spokes? 
--Unknown

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race.
--H.G. Wells

Nothing compares with the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
-John F. Kennedy


When I go biking, I repeat a mantra of the day's sensations:  bright sun, blue sky, warm breeze, blue jay's call, ice melting and so on.  This helps me transcend the traffic, ignore the clamorings of work, leave all the mind theaters behind and focus on nature instead.  I still must abide by the rules of the road, of biking, of gravity.  But I am mentally far away from civilization.  The world is breaking someone else's heart. 
--Diane Ackerman

... the bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created:  Converting calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles per gallon.
--Bill Strickland, The Quotable Cyclist

I suppose that was what attracted me to the bicycle right from the start. It is not so much a way of getting somewhere as it is a setting for randomness; it makes every journey an unorganized tour.
--Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

A bicycle ride is a flight from sadness.
--James E. Starrs, The Literary Cyclist

The hardest part of raising a child is teaching them to ride bicycles. A shaky child on a bicycle for the first time needs both support and freedom. The realization that this is what the child will always need can hit hard.
--Sloan Wilson

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. –Desmond Tutu

I'm lazy. But it's the lazy people who invented the wheel and the bicycle because they didn't like walking or carrying things.
--Lech Walesa

Life is like riding a bicycle -- in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.
--Albert Einstein

For more quotes on bikes, see these pages from which most of these quotes were taken:


2 comments :

  1. Nice, and thanks! I can use some of these in my sustainability course...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it! If you run across more good ones come back and post. Quite a few of these show up on every biking quotation list; it would be nice to find some new ones.

    barb

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like karma. The more you give, the more you receive. (Spam is like karma too.)

UA-58053553-1